The New Book Review

This blog, #TheNewBookReview, is "new" because it eschews #bookbigotry. It lets readers, reviewers, authors, and publishers expand the exposure of their favorite reviews, FREE. Info for submissions is in the "Send Me Your Fav Book Review" circle icon in the right column below. Find resources to help your career using the mini search engine below. #TheNewBookReview is a multi-award-winning blog including a MastersInEnglish.org recommendation.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Interview: Creative Nonfiction Writer Gives Career Advice to Budding Authors



Hi! I am Carolyn Howard Johnson, your trusty New Book Review blogger and author of the multi award-winning HowTo Do It Frugally Series of books for writers. This blog has heretofore been exclusive for reviews but I thought I’d do a special series of interviews after I chatted with Jeanie Loiacono, President of Loiacono Literary Agency – Where ‘can’t’ is not in our vocabulary!  I thought sharing the interviews would help the many subscribers and visitors to this New Book Review blog, including authors, reviewers, and, of course, readers who just might find a new favorite author among the featured books and authors.

So, today welcome Diane Yates.

Diane Yates is a member of the Columbia Chapter of the Missouri Writer’s Guild and the President of the Ozarks Writers League.  The sequel to Pathways of the Heart, All That Matters, is due for release April 2016.

What is your genre? Is it fiction or nonfiction? My first two books, Pathways of the Heart and All That Matters, are creative nonfiction.

What made you want to be a writer? I write to be read. From a young age, I wrote skits and loved creating or telling a story. My desire is to evoke feelings from my readers: feelings of joy, peace, love, romance, and empathy, just to name a few. I would love for them to laugh, cry, and rally for my protagonists. When they read the words ‘THE END,’ and close the cover, nothing would please me more than if the book they’d just finished would inspire them to be a better person. Change the world, so-to-speak, one reader at a time.

Of all the authors out there, who inspired you most? As a teenager, I waited eagerly for the release of Jane Aiken Hodge’s next book, which was about one a year. I devoured each one with its strong female protagonist immersed in diverse conflicts set amidst riveting historical events. As an adult, there are many authors such as Tom Clancy, John Grisham, Nicholas Sparks, Janette Oke, LaVyrle Spencer, and Karen Kingsbury.

What is your writing style? Do you outline? Linearly? By scene? Why? I find that I outline by scene. In writing creative nonfiction, I don’t want to miss pivotal points that often add to the complex character of my hero or heroine. Outlining helps me see the big picture.

Do you write every day? How much? How long? My goal is to write each day. However, it’s important for me to be inspired, and, when that inspiration arrives, I follow, no matter how long the journey.

Do you think reading is as important to writing for an author? Why? For me, I love to read, and I’m sure I learn writing techniques and style in the process.

     What are some of the things you would like to share with budding authors? When I began writing novels, I forgot to pray for direction. Instead I was writing just for fun. My advice for budding authors is to seek guidance regarding the purpose of your writing. Whether it’s fiction or whatever genre, you want people to read your work. Consider how your words are adding to the lives of your readers. E.B. White, author of Charlotte’s Web, said, A writer has the duty to be good, not lousy; true, not false; lively, not dull; accurate, not full of error. He should tend to lift people up, not lower them down. Writers do not merely reflect and interpret life, they inform and shape life.”

Do you have any marketing and promotional advice, referrals, tips you would like to share? I struggle with marketing and promotion and therefore welcome advice from others instead of sharing my lack of knowledge!

Do you think conferences are beneficial? If so, what have you learned? Which ones do you frequent? Connecting with other writers and industry professionals at a conference, and learning from them, is vital in improving your craft. I’m a member of local writing groups, such as the Ozarks Writers League and The Columbia Writers Guild, and attend their conferences as well as others that offer topics or speakers of interest.

      Where can we find you, your books and when is your next event? My website contains information about my books, my faith, and other personal data. My book, Pathways of the Heart may be found on: Amazon  Hudson Book Sellers  B&N  BAM  IndieBound  The Book Depository  Shelfari  GoodReads Pathways of the Heart Reviews I will be speaking on the consequences of “Choices Along our Path” at the Meet the Authors Festival on Saturday February 6, 2016 from 9:30 am to 2:00 pm at Kimberling Area Library (KAL), 45 Kimberling Blvd, Kimberling City, MO 65686. http://www.kalib.org/  www.dianeyates.com Represented by Loiacono Literary Agency, Jeanie Loiacono http://www.loiaconoliteraryagency.com/authors/diane-yates/
    
MORE ABOUT THE SPONSORING AGENTS

Jeanie Loiacono, President, Loiacono Literary Agency
A facilitator of dreams, Jeanie Loiacono represents over eighty authors. Her forte is mystery, romance, thrillers, historical/military/southern fiction, and all quality fiction/nonfiction. Her passion is to see her authors succeed.
“There is nothing more rewarding than to hold one of my author’s books and know I helped bring it to fruition. I am so blessed and privileged to be able to work with some of the most talented writers in the world.” Jeanie.L@llallc.net  www.loiaconoliteraryagency.com



IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE INTERVIEWS--TO FIND GREAT READING OR TO NETWORK WITH AUTHORS--PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG. YOU ARE A WELCOME ADDITION TO THIS FAMILY WHO LOVES BOOKS! YOU'LL FIND A WINDOW TO DO THIS AT THE TOP OF THIS BLOG PAGE.

----- 

The New Book Review is blogged by Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally series of books for writers. It is a free service offered to those who want to encourage the reading of books they love. That includes authors who want to share their favorite reviews, reviewers who'd like to see their reviews get more exposure, and readers who want to shout out praise of books they've read. Please see submission guidelines on the left of this page. Reviews and essays are indexed by genre, reviewer names, and review sites. Writers will find the search engine handy for gleaning the names of small publishers. Find other writer-related blogs at Sharing with Writers and The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor.

No comments: