The New Book Review

This blog, #TheNewBookReview, is "new" because it eschews #bookbigotry. It lets readers, reviewers, authors, and publishers expand the exposure of their favorite reviews, FREE. Info for submissions is in the "Send Me Your Fav Book Review" circle icon in the right column below. Find resources to help your career using the mini search engine below. #TheNewBookReview is a multi-award-winning blog including a MastersInEnglish.org recommendation.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

"Powerful and Funny" LGBT Story


 Title: Womb Man
Subtitle: How I Survived Growing Up in a Booby-Trapped World
Author: Kristine M Smith
Author Website: YellowBalloonPublications.com
Category: LGBT Studies
ISBN: 7881544200682
Reviewer: Shayne Laughter
Where to buy the book: YellowBalloonPublications.com or  http://amzn.to/2munFwP


Book Review for WOMB MAN: How I Survived Growing Up in a Booby-Trapped World

“What I love about Kris Smith's writing is that she is powerful and funny without being mean; compassionate and courageous without asking for a scrap of pity. WOMB-MAN is a fresh, fast read, full of information and rousing emotion.   This is the transgender life story you want to give your teen and pre-teen, your grandmother, pastor, congressman, barista and school counselor.   Kris is walking proof that humor and a focus on what we love saves lives.” - Joy Shayne Laughter, Author, Speaker

                                                                                                     
Synopsis  

                                                   

When I was 32, I did something that made my father immensely proud. Spontaneously, he proclaimed “That’s my boy!” Immediately realizing his error, he shot a panicked look at me, eyes wide with horror. 
Equally shocked and catching my breath, I responded, “It’s all right, Dad.”   
And it really was all right. Because—for the first time in my life—I felt recognized for who I really was: a remarkable man.  
We never spoke of it again. But I began to wonder why it had taken Dad 32 years to “get” me. Or had it? Did he know something I didn’t? And if he did, why was he keeping it a secret?

Was I born intersex and surgically altered as an infant to meet gender norms (the default solution in the mid 50’s for ambiguously-gendered babies, then called hermaphrodites)? Or am I naturally transgender—a man housed in a female body? 
 
There are countless people like me who don’t fit gender norms. Many feel the need to hide who they truly are, to exist without being scolded as strange or feared as foreign. You probably know several of them; they just might not trust you enough to tell you. 
 
Something needs to change. I hope my own story helps that happen. 

MORE ABOUT THIS BLOG

 The New Book Review is blogged by Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally series of books for writers. It is a free service offered to those who want to encourage the reading of books they love. That includes authors who want to share their favorite reviews, reviewers who'd like to see their reviews get more exposure, and readers who want to shout out praise of books they've read. Please see submission guidelines on the left of this page. Reviews and essays are indexed by genre, reviewer names, and review sites. Writers will find the search engine handy for gleaning the names of small publishers. Find other writer-related blogs at Sharing with Writers and The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor.

No comments: