The New Book Review

This blog, #TheNewBookReview, is "new" because it eschews #bookbigotry. It lets readers, reviewers, authors, and publishers expand the exposure of their favorite reviews, FREE. Info for submissions is in the "Send Me Your Fav Book Review" circle icon in the right column below. Find resources to help your career using the mini search engine below. #TheNewBookReview is a multi-award-winning blog including a MastersInEnglish.org recommendation.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Interview: Author Tells How To Get Away From It All

Hi! I am Carolyn Howard Johnson, your trusty New Book Review blogger and author of the multi award-winning HowTo Do It Frugally Series of books for writers. This blog has heretofore been exclusive for reviews but I thought I’d do a special series of interviews after I chatted with Jeanie Loiacono, President of Loiacono Literary Agency – Where ‘can’t’ is not in our vocabulary!  I thought sharing the interviews would help the many subscribers and visitors to this New Book Review blog, including authors, reviewers, and, of course, readers who just might find a new favorite author among the featured books and authors.

So, today welcome Jocko Lee.

Jocko Lee has one published novel, Tar Kyler: Time Traveling Mercenary (Rogue Phoenix Press, 2015), and two scheduled for release: Buffalo Island (Deer Hawk Publications, 2016) and Glass Wind Chimes (Deer Hawk Publications, 2017) In the last two mentioned, he has done a remarkable job in detailing the complexities regarding the establishing of your own island, and subsequent country, so convincingly that it stirs a great longing to live in the Paradise Islands and cast this harried existence aside. Having spent over fifty years in several professions including being a fisherman, boat owner and working in the shipping industry, his writing is authentic and most believable. His latest under consideration, The Travels of Jacob Spach, is a fictional account based on the travels of his grandfather around the early 1900’s. 

       What is your genre? Is it fiction or nonfiction?  I don’t have a specific genre. I have written science fiction, fantasy and some romance. All my work is fiction.

       What made you want to be a writer? I was kinda tricked into it. I was in a depression and I got there by thinking about my problems too much. So I decided to think happy thoughts and wrote them down. My Mom read them and said that I had a start to a good book, and to finish it. So I did. My Mom is the one who wanted to be a writer. I must have got the bug from her.

       Of all the authors out there, who inspired you most? I like Louis L’amour, Tom Clancy and Zane Grey, all for different reasons. L’amour can make you feel that you are there while Zane Grey can give you the sounds. Clancy makes you think about what you are doing. Jean M. Auel can educate you in the medicinal value of plants if you read her Earth’s Children series. Many writers, even though they are writing fiction, stick to actual facts.  
      
      What is your writing style? Do you outline? Linearly? By scene? Why? I have no idea what my style is. That is one thing I miss, not studying writing. I don’t outline, I just put pen to paper and the story comes out. Sometimes I have no idea how a sentence will end when I start one. I have been surprised. I have told others that the pen writes the story, I just hold it upright. The first manuscript I wrote had over 100K words.
      
      Do you write every day? How much? How long? I don’t write every day. Sometimes I go weeks without writing. And then the story hits me and I have to start putting it down. When I tried to force myself to write, nothing came out right. Writing is like giving birth, the baby comes when it’s ready.


       Do you think reading is as important to writing for an author? Why? Reading was very important, to me. I have loved to read and have read all my life. Reading is how I learned to write.

      What are some of the things you would like to share with budding authors? I am also a budding author, so I don’t have a lot of tried and true tidbits yet. The best thing I can say is write what is in your head. Don’t let someone else tell you how your story should go unless they are speaking from a marketing standpoint, and have the results to back it up.

      Do you have any marketing and promotional advice, referrals, tips you would like to share? Find the best agent you can and listen to that agent. They are in this business because they love what they do and they make a living doing it.

      Do you think conferences are beneficial? If so, what have you learned? Which ones do you frequent? I have no thoughts about conferences, mostly because I have never been to one. I have mobility problems at the moment but in the future I plan to see if they might help.

      Where can we find you, your books and when is your next event? I have a web site, www.jockolee.com. My book Tar Kyler: time Traveling Mercenary may be found on all the online sites: Amazon, B&N and the publisher’s website www.rougephoenixpress.com. Represented by Loiacono Literary Agency, Jeanie Loiacono www.loiaconoliteraryagency/authors/jocko-lee

MORE ABOUT THE SPONSORING AGENT

Jeanie Loiacono, President, Loiacono Literary Agency
A facilitator of dreams, Jeanie Loiacono represents over eighty authors. Her forte is mystery, romance, thrillers, historical/military/southern fiction, and all quality fiction/nonfiction. Her passion is to see her authors succeed.

“There is nothing more rewarding than to hold one of my author’s books and know I helped bring it to fruition. I am so blessed and privileged to be able to work with some of the most talented writers in the world.” Jeanie.L@llallc.net  www.loiaconoliteraryagency.com

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE INTERVIEWS--TO FIND GREAT READING OR TO NETWORK WITH AUTHORS--PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG. YOU ARE A WELCOME ADDITION TO THIS FAMILY WHO LOVES BOOKS! YOU'LL FIND A WINDOW TO DO THIS AT THE TOP OF THIS BLOG PAGE.


-- 

----- 

The New Book Review is blogged by Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally series of books for writers. It is a free service offered to those who want to encourage the reading of books they love. That includes authors who want to share their favorite reviews, reviewers who'd like to see their reviews get more exposure, and readers who want to shout out praise of books they've read. Please see submission guidelines on the left of this page. Reviews and essays are indexed by genre, reviewer names, and review sites. Writers will find the search engine handy for gleaning the names of small publishers. Find other writer-related blogs at Sharing with Writers and The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor.

No comments: