The New Book Review

This blog, #TheNewBookReview, is "new" because it eschews #bookbigotry. It lets readers, reviewers, authors, and publishers expand the exposure of their favorite reviews, FREE. Info for submissions is in the "Send Me Your Fav Book Review" circle icon in the right column below. Find resources to help your career using the mini search engine below. #TheNewBookReview is a multi-award-winning blog including a MastersInEnglish.org recommendation.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Writer Talks About Reading Books Meant for Other Industries

Frugal and Focused Tweeting for Retailers
By Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Published by HowToDoItFrugally.com
Cover by John Quinn
Launched at the National Stationery Show at Javits Center, NY
Reviewed by Sylvia McClain

Sylvia McClain wrote this note to me after we had a discussion about Twitter for writers and I told her I though she would get lots from my new book on Tweeting, even though it isn't written specifically for writers! She made me pretty happy when she wrote back:

Carolyn:

Just read your book on tweeting and what struck me most is Branding, Branding, and more Branding. Whew! Where do I begin? No, I am not a retailer but as you said, there might be something in it for writers, too!

The book, Frugal and Focused Tweeting, said:

YOUR TWITTER MONIKER is as important for your Twitter branding as it is for your e-mail addresses.

My Epiphany:

Duh! was my first thought; no one knew that my Twitter Moniker "rpmenter" stood for RPM Enterprises (my company name) but me. What everyone knew me by was "Scribal Press," my company imprint publishing name, my Web site and my news calendar of writer events. So before I could finish reading the book, I jumped online and immediately changed my Twitter Moniker everywhere not just on Twitter, from "rpmenter" to "Scribal Press." So my Twitter name is now www.twitter.com/scribalpress.

In Chapter Two, page 30, of Frugal and Focused Tweeting for Retailers, you suggested:

I will make ____ useful contacts a week. Twitter contacts include possible customers, but connecting with vendors, bloggers who write about shopping, and business editors at print and online media, etc., can be equally profitable in the long run.

My Epiphany:

I had no idea what number to use but it made me take notice and start thinking.

In Chapter Three, page 36, Frugal and Focused Tweeting talked... about branding using our Twitter biographies and you gave an example of what you would use for your own store.

I needed to go do a new bio on my Twitter account. Why? Branding that's why.

In Chapter Four, page 57, Frugal and Focused Tweeting said:

Tweet about new blog posts, newsletter editions, Web pages. More on this when we talk about integrating your marketing efforts in Chapter Seven.

My Epiphany:

Why I have never thought of this is beyond me.

Anyway, yes you were right again. There is something in this book for everyone, even those who don't think they want to to tweet.

Sincerely,

Sylvia McClain
Blogging at View Points at http://sylviaspeaks.blogspot.com
Book Reviewer at MyShelf.com and Atlantic Publishing Company
Now available, the 2nd Edition of The Write Life

-----
The New Book Review is blogged by Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally series of books for writers. It is a free service offered to those who want to encourage the reading of books they love. That includes authors who want to share their favorite reviews, reviewers who'd like to see their reviews get more exposure, and readers who want to shout out praise of books they've loved. Please see submission guidelines on the left of this page. Reviews and essays are indexed by author names, reviewer names, and review sites. Writers will find the index handy for gleaning the names of small publishers. Find other writer-related blogs at Sharing with Writers and The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor. As a courtesy to the author, please tweet and retweet this post using the widget below:

No comments: