The New Book Review

This blog, #TheNewBookReview, is "new" because it eschews #bookbigotry. It lets readers, reviewers, authors, and publishers expand the exposure of their favorite reviews, FREE. Info for submissions is in the "Send Me Your Fav Book Review" circle icon in the right column below. Find resources to help your career using the mini search engine below. #TheNewBookReview is a multi-award-winning blog including a MastersInEnglish.org recommendation.

Friday, December 4, 2015

Welcome to the FIRST of a New Series of Author Interviews!


Hi! I am  Carolyn Howard Johnson, your trusty New Book Review blogger and author of  the multi award-winning HowTo Do It Frugally Series of books for writers. This blog has heretofore been exclusive for reviews but I thought I’d do a special series of interviews after I chatted with Jeanie Loiacono, President of Loiacono Literary Agency – Where ‘can’t’ is not in our vocabulary!  I thought sharing the interviews would help the many subscribers and visitors to this New Book Review blog, including authors, reviewers, and, of course, readers who just might find a new favorite author among the featured books and authors. This is one of the first in the series. 

So, today welcome Drake Vaughn. 

Drake Vaughn
Drake Vaughn’s “crinkled fiction” is a blend of horror, dark fantasy, and speculative fiction with a heavy psychological bent. His tales appear deceptively simple, but transform into a wild spree of suspense, madness, and trauma. He lives in Santa Monica, California with his wife and a black cat named Shadow (who he is certain has come back from the dead on a number of occasions). His first novel was The Zombie Generation.
When the Devil Climbs

After a decade lost to addiction and criminality, Russ Grote is given the opportunity by his jilted ex-wife to reconnect with his son. On the day before he is scheduled to leave for this reunion, he and his coworkers become trapped up on a billboard after a horde of pigs infected with a mysterious virus attack them. At first, missing his bus appears to be Russ’ major problem, but as the hours whittle away and no rescue arrives, a far worse fate may be in store. Matters only become more complicated when the people who eventually come to save them have other, far more nefarious plans, in store.

1. What is your genre? Is it fiction or nonfiction? Horror, and all the creepy dark stuff.

2. What made you want to be a writer? Every writer starts as a passionate reader. I wanted to tell my own stories in my own way and share in the same way other authors shared with me.

3. Of all the authors out there, who inspired you most? Stephen King. I fell in love with his stuff as a kid, and still have yet to outgrow it.

4. What is your writing style? Do you outline? Linearly? By scene? Why? I outline and plan a lot. I typically begin with a nugget of a story and then concentrate on fleshing out the characters. When it comes to writing, I tend to drift from my outline, but as long as the characters remain true, I can put them into any scenario and it will work out. Sometimes the best plan is to write myself into an inescapable corner, then keep pushing. Looking back at my outlines, it’s crazy how the final story is so different, but the characters and their growth typically remain consistent.

5. Do you write every day? How much? How long? I view writing in the same way as exercise. Consistency is key, but so is changing up the routine. In the same way that doing the same exercise over and over leads to injury, I get uncreative the more compulsive I get while working on something. I’ve found the best ideas have come when I’m least expecting them, when my mind is wandering. The key is to be always ready, whenever that spark ignites, along with pushing through when there isn’t one.

6. Do you think reading is as important to writing for an author? Why? Outside of having a way to transcribe your words, reading is the only important thing for a writer. I can’t imagine anyone who doesn’t read wanting to be a writer.

7. What are some of the things you would like to share with budding authors? Keep practicing. It’s a slow process, but the more one writes, the easier it becomes. The only way to become better is to practice, practice, practice.

8. Do you have any marketing and promotional advice, referrals, tips you would like to share? The best marketing is to have more books. Similar to most, when I discover a new author, all I want to do is read everything they’ve ever written. I binge read authors, so if all they have is one book, I read it and am done with them. A bigger catalogue is far better than any advertising.

9. Do you think conferences are beneficial? If so, what have you learned? Which ones do you frequent? My favorite is the World Horror Convention, but that’s focused on my particular genre. The attendees are the best part, since it’s a gathering of like-minded people who share a passion for the genre. Any tips I’ve learned are far less than the connections to these authors who share a passion for writing.

10. Where can we find you, your books and when is your next event? The best place to reach me is on social media or my website: drakevaughn.com www.twitter.com/drakevaughn Represented by Loiacono Literary Agency, Melissa Carrigee Melissa.C@llallc.net http://www.loiaconoliteraryagency.com/authors/drake-vaughn/ 


 IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE INTERVIEWS--TO FIND GREAT READING OR TO NETWORK WITH AUTHORS--PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG. YOU ARE A WELCOME ADDITION TO THIS FAMILY WHO LOVES BOOKS! YOU'LL FIND A WINDOW TO DO THIS AT THE TOP OF THIS BLOG PAGE.

MORE ABOUT THE SPONSORING AGENTS
Melissa.C@llallc.net http://www.loiaconoliteraryagency.com/authors/drake-vaughn/ Agent,  Marketing and Publicity – Melissa Carrigee
Reading and writing is a way of life for Melissa Carrigee.  As a literary agent and award winning graphic artist, she combines her two passions of business and writing.  She has published works in newspapers and magazines as well as a published novel. Featured Columnist for The Family Forum, Parents and Kids Magazine – Mississippi Gulf Coast.
I want a horror book to read all night long while I check behind the doors for the boogey man.  I’m looking for a thriller that keeps me reading and guessing (and just when I think I’ve figured it out, I’m wrong).  I’m looking for children’s books that engage the parent and the child.  I’m looking for young adult novels – but NOT Twilight and not wizards.  That’s been done.  I’m looking for any story with a great plot.  Something I can sit and read in a few days with characters that make me think about them long after I’ve finished the book.
Genres: horror, science fiction, historical fiction, commercial fiction, mysteries, thrillers, dramas, historical romance, children’s (picture and mid-grade)—any book that has a great story with unforgettable characters.

Jeanie Loiacono, President, Loiacono Literary Agency - A facilitator of dreams, Jeanie Loiacono represents over eighty authors. Her forte is mystery, romance, thrillers, historical/military/southern fiction, and all quality fiction/nonfiction. Her passion is to see her authors succeed.
“There is nothing more rewarding than to hold one of my author’s books and know I helped bring it to fruition. I am so blessed and privileged to be able to work with some of the most talented writers in the world.” Jeanie.L@llallc.net  www.loiaconoliteraryagency.com

----- 
The New Book Review is blogged by Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally series of books for writers. It is a free service offered to those who want to encourage the reading of books they love. That includes authors who want to share their favorite reviews, reviewers who'd like to see their reviews get more exposure, and readers who want to shout out praise of books they've read. Please see submission guidelines on the left of this page. Reviews and essays are indexed by genre, reviewer names, and review sites. Writers will find the search engine handy for gleaning the names of small publishers. Find other writer-related blogs at Sharing with Writers and The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor.

No comments: